What I am looking forward to during the Calvin500 TourPosted: June 17, 2009
Today I received my Witte Travels & Tours package in the mail for the upcoming Calvin500 Historic Tour and Conference that is taking place in Geneva in less then a month, June 30th – July 10th. My plan while over in Geneva is to blog, now to which form of blogging – micro blogging, live blogging, or just a write up over each days events and sessions, well that all depends on what type of internet service I have when I get there. As of now the only certainly that I have is my hotel room every evening. I hope that I have the time and means to share with the many of you that read mine and the Calvin500 Blog of the events that take place, the papers that are addressed, the sermons that are given and whatever else comes about from July 3rd to July 10th.
When it comes to travel, I do my far share in the states, but I have never been out of North America. I mean, I have been to Canada a number of times for canoeing, hiking, camping, fishing, and like every other American to see Niagara Falls. I also once went to Mexico to help build a church for two weeks, but never out of North America. So I have a list of items that I had made the other day in which I am looking forward to and hope to do while in Geneva.
- I hope to take pictures or maybe a video camera to record the event and remember the 500th birthday of John Calvin.
- I hope to not look like the typical American in the streets of Geneva, so therefor I am refusing to take any khakis with me.
- I am looking forward to meeting and staying with Dr. Henri Blocher. I do not know much about him besides the fact that he is a French evangelical theologian, is Gunther Knoedler Professor of Systematic Theology at Wheaton College Graduate School (since 2003) and is Professor of Systematic Theology, Faculte Libre de Theologie Evangelique, Vaux-sur-Seine, France. Maybe I can get some tips in applying for my Ph.D. From him.
- Hearing more than 25 professors and pastors preach and teach on a number of different topics and selected text from the Scriptures that will be preached. Most of all I am looking forward to three of these. 1.) Dr. Bruce McCormick: “Union with Christ in Calvin’s Theology: Grounds for a Divinization Theory?” 2.) Dr. R. Scott Clark: “Calvin’s Principle of Worship” and 3.) Dr. Richard Gamble: “Recent Research in Calvin Studies.”
- Looking forward to meeting at the Paquis Pier with 25 top-scholars on John Calvin and going on a Cruise on Lake Geneva.
- I hope to find some Calvin500 B-day cake!
Those of who are interested in hearing about and keeping up-to-date in what is happening at the Calvin500 Tour and Conferences, stay tune, stay here at my blog and the Calvin500 Blog for updates.