What is Truth…? Who Knows!Posted: August 22, 2009
I was reading yesterday for Biblical Ethics and The Decalogue courses that I am taking by Dr. James Grier online. After dealing with some of the courses text books, and watching a few Youtube videos dealing on debating Ethics I just happen to Google a dictionary’s definition of truth. Not that I’d believe exactly what it said, but I wanted to know if it matched what I was reading and hearing from the secular-humanist view on truth. I had no idea that what I would find this!
What is truth? Well we have 9 definitions you can chose from…
1. the true or actual state of a matter: He tried to find out the truth.
2. conformity with fact or reality; verity: the truth of a statement.
3. a verified or indisputable fact, proposition, principle, or the like: mathematical truths.
4. the state or character of being true.
5. actuality or actual existence.
6. an obvious or accepted fact; truism; platitude.
7. honesty; integrity; truthfulness.
8. ideal or fundamental reality apart from and transcending perceived experience: the basic truths of life.
9. agreement with a standard or original.
10. accuracy, as of position or adjustment.
11. Archaic. fidelity or constancy.
Wonder why the postmodern doesn’t know what to believe about truth, is because is can basically believe anything you want it to be. What is truth to you? and if you have a definition of truth, please I’d love to hear it.