The Meaning and Applications of “Abide with Christ”Posted: May 11, 2011 Filed under: Christ Leave a comment
John 15:1-5, “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.”
1. The branch grows out of the vine = God’s children have the new birth by Christ.
2. The branch is totally depentdent upon the vine for its life and nurture = God’s children have no spiritual life apart from Christ.
3. The branch’s sole identity is in its vine = the identity of God’s people is in Christ.
4. The substance of the vine is in the branch = Christ’s word abides in His people.
5. God’s people abide in Christ love.
6. Everything needed for spiritual life and fruitfulness is drawn from Christ.